Who: Assignment 7 helped me better understand who is in my target market. I have came to the conclusion that my target market would be moms and dads that have children, children, teenagers, woman college students, and the homeless. After conducting my interviews I was able to determine who lies outside my boundary definition; and that was single men, the elderly, and men in college. They didn’t feel as if they were directly affected by human trafficking and would not pursue my product.
Interviews:
Two Woman mothers ages 32 and 35- I decided to interview two adult woman that have children and should have the unmet need according to my demographics. During the interview I asked them if they think human trafficking is a direct issue for them and their family; they responded saying that they aren’t concerned with human trafficking affecting themselves or their children; that there are many other concerns in the world that could directly affect their children before a case of human trafficking could. They were more concerned with bullying, pedophiles, and other abusive people coming into contact with their children. They stated they don’t believe they or their children would ever be targeted for human trafficking because they live in a safe neighborhood and their children go to a safe school. I informed them about my product, and they said that maybe in the future that could be a need, but they wouldn’t immediately purchase it right now because they weren’t concerned by their children disappearing because they are always with them.
1 Female homeless woman age 41- I interviewed a homeless woman by the name of Erica and asked her about her concerns on human trafficking and if she believes that she could be a potential victim. She stated that she has no concern that human trafficking would target her because she has nothing to offer them, she said that she’s old and has no money, and that they would choose to go after a child before ever choosing her. She stated that she has been homeless for a long time and has never once thought about the threat of human trafficking. She also stated that she was more concerned about being a victim of other crimes among the homeless population, instead of the almost impossible chance of being targeted for human trafficking. I informed her of my product and service for her and the homeless population and she stated that it would be helpful for being a victim of other crimes, as she believes that there is a chance of being abducted for other reasons but not by trafficking. She said that she has seen people go missing in the homeless population but she always believed it was due to family or meeting someone else and traveling to a different area. She stated that if a missing person alert was created for a friend that had my product, she would use the service I have to see if that friend is alright.
Two male Freshman college students ages 20 and 21- I interviewed two college students that are single and asked them a few questions pertaining to human trafficking. I first asked them if they were informed of the up rise in human trafficking in Florida and they said that they have heard about it but haven’t researched anything or thought too into the problem. I then asked them if they worried of being a potential target and they stated that they don’t believe that they would be targeted and don’t think about it at all in their everyday lives. Unlike the single woman I interviewed in assignment 7 that were worried to even go out at night, these two men stated that they don’t live in fear of being a potential victim because they don’t believe they are the target of human trafficking. I explained to them my product and they thought that for them there was no need for it, and that it would be invasive.
What: After conducting interviews with people from my perceived target market, I found out that some people that should have this unmet need do not. 3 of my interviewees were much more concerned with being a victim of other crimes targeted at them and their children. While the last 2 people I interviewed didn’t have the unmet need at all, and they thought that my product was invasive.
Why: I think that some experiences and lifestyles could lessen the chance of this unmet need; such as, the two single moms I interviewed live in a nice community and their children go to safe schools. This factor would lessen the risk of human trafficking, compared to parents of children that do not live in a nice community and do not attend safe schools. As for the homeless woman I interviewed, she had a completely different perception of human trafficking as compared to the first homeless man I interviewed in assignment 7. I believe this could be due to different education on the topic, and also due to different life experiences. For the 2 young male college students, I interviewed them because I thought that they would be a little worried about the possibility of human trafficking since they are young and have family, but they aren’t concerned about the problem at all. I believe this could be due to being a male, they don’t believe they could ever be a target of any sex related crime due to societies perceived idea of that only affecting woman, when in fact that is not true.
Inside Boundary
|
Outside Boundary
| |
Who:
|
Children
Teenagers
Female college students
Fathers and mothers with children
The homeless population
|
Male college students
Single males
The elderly
|
What:
|
Reduce human trafficking in Florida and even help reduce other crimes
|
To eliminate human trafficking entirely
|
Why:
|
Feeling unsafe in everyday living situations
|
People that feel safe in everyday living situations
|
Hi Victoria! I found your post extremely informative and you have great insight into your problem and the markets for it. There is a clear distinction between your who and your who not. I think you are steps closer to solving your problem now that you were able to think outside the box and realize the people out there.
ReplyDeleteVictoria, so I do understand what you are going after in terms of what problem you are trying to solve and based on the interviews there is definitely a need somewhere for this to be fixed. Though my question lies more along the lines of how. If your how is more of education people on human trafficking and awareness of the issue then you are doing fantastic! Though if you are more trying to solve the problem them I hope to see something great come from all this information!
ReplyDelete