Thursday, February 6, 2020

7A- Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1


Opportunity:
Human Trafficking in Gainesville- Gainesville is now on the human trafficking map in Florida as a green zone.
-The who: College students, children, and teenagers.
-The what: People feel unsafe going to out in general, and especially going out to where traffickers are known to do abductions such major grocery stores, or night to clubs and bars.
-The why: Due to the rise in sex trafficking in Florida, Gainesville has become a predominant location due to the proximity to the highway and the amount of college students here.

·      Testing the who: Sex trafficking affects the entire nation, especially minors or woman. This opportunity is open to any location in the world, but predominant in certain states such as Florida.
·      Testing the what: Anywhere in the world one could be targeted for sex trafficking. Gainesville’s night clubs and bars with a growing population and ever revolving student population provides a unique atmosphere to be targeted.
·      Testing the why: There are highways every where but the human sex trafficking maps show that rural areas that are not near major highways are not at increased risk. Gainesville has been moved into a green zone on the sex trafficking map. This increased awareness of the danger could have parents more concerned about their teenagers, college students, and children.

Interview #1
·      I interviewed a senior UF student majoring in biology about human trafficking and he was aware that it was a problem down south but had not thought about it being a major problem in Gainesville. He does not have kids or siblings that live here, and he believes that since he is a man it doesn’t directly affect him. He explained that even when he goes out, he doesn’t have to worry about other threats including human trafficking because of his sex.
Summary: After doing this interview it’s very obvious that some people aren’t directly affected by this opportunity. Being a large male, he explained how he is able to defend himself if any threat came his way. He isn’t as concerned as the other people I interviewed, giving he is an only child and most of his family are adults making the threat of human trafficking for his family and him less viable.

Interview #2
·      I interviewed a lady at church who has three children and lived in Gainesville her whole life. I asked her about her awareness of human trafficking in town and she responded that she sees post on facebook about friends and family warning her of the up-rise of human trafficking in central Florida. She said that she has done research about it and is aware of the potential dangers to her and her children even here in Gainesville. She told me that when she goes out, she keeps her children close and has also taught her children not to go with strangers no matter what. So, she explained that she has taken certain precautions making the threat of being a victim for her and her children less possible.
Summary: After doing this interview, it is clear that the threat of human trafficking has affected the respondent directly. She is aware of the up-rise in town, and has to live every day being aware by taking precautions for her and her children from becoming a victim to this threat. The opportunity is definitely valid in her predicament giving she is a single woman parent to 3 children, which 2 are girls.

Interview #3
·      I interviewed a Female Junior Finance Major student at UF at my bus stop. We had a 15-minute wait for the bus so I took advantage of the opportunity and we had an in depth conversation about human trafficking. She explained to me how she’s completely aware of human trafficking increasing in central Florida. She stated how being a young woman while this up-rise is taking place is extremely scary to her. I agreed completely. She stated that she takes precautions when going to grocery stores and purposely avoids going at night-time, and also takes precautions when going to clubs and bars by being in a large group of friends. She said that she has a taser also as a self-defense mechanism for any potential threat.
Summary: After interviewing this college student it is valid that this opportunity directly affects her. Being a young woman she could be a potential target. She is aware of the progressiveness of human trafficking in Gainesville, and finds it extremely alarming. This opportunity affects her everyday life decisions and that is honestly a hard way to live.

Interview #4
·      I interviewed a construction worker who has a wife and one son. When I asked him about human trafficking in Gainesville he was extremely informative. He told me that Gainesville has an increased gang presence from the construction workers that have come because of the building boom that is currently taking place. He also said that the bars in Gainesville are dangerous and that his wife before he had met her had been drugged. He has his concealed carry and takes his families safety extremely personal.
Summary: This interviewee was aware of human trafficking and other potential threats that could affect him and his family. He has gone to the extent of carrying a concealed weapon just in case of any threat that would target him or his family. He has personal experience with the threat of human trafficking as his wife has been drugged at a bar, and that is a main M.O for many traffickers in the nation. They may use methods such as drugging someone at a bar who appears as an easy target and take advantage of the opportunity.

Interview #5
·      I interviewed a home-less man in Downtown about his awareness of human trafficking and if it affects him in any way. His response was that he knows it is happening in the world, and that it could affect him. He explained how being homeless in town, there’s always a potential threat of any kind of violence towards the homeless population and they have to always keep an eye out of their surroundings no matter what. He told me how friends of his that were also homeless, one day, just disappeared and he hasn’t seen them since. He said he has no idea where they went or if they’re even alive still, but there is definitely a possibility of someone abducting them since they’re homeless and nobody could report them missing.
Summary: After conducting my interview with this homeless man I was shocked of his awareness of the threats of human trafficking and other harmful threats. I thought that his position of being homeless and not being surrounded by social media and the news, would hinder his knowledge on the subject. But, he has first-hand experience of the threat of human trafficking; as homeless people are an easy target because most of them don’t have families with nobody to report them missing. After learning about how his friends have gone missing and he doesn’t know where they are or if they’re alive or dead, the opportunity of human trafficking in the homeless community is large, as before this assignment I thought it only affected woman and children.

4 comments:

  1. Victoria,
    I think all of your interviews provided insight into just how prevalent this issue is to the public. It also opened my eyes to just how unaware people are about sex trafficking. I believe that you have found a very important problem that needs to be solved.
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Victoria! Human trafficking is obviously a very important and relevant issue, especially around UF. I love the amount of information you were able to get out of your interviews and the fact that you talked to people with all different types of backgrounds. It's a really good way to get different points of view. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Victoria, wow! I was shocked by your post on human trafficking in Gainesville. Crazy that it’s a Gainesville too. Any idea that could combat this I hope would be successful. I feel like a lot of people are unaware of this, based on your interviews, and to be successful, it is crucial that your idea gets made aware of by the local community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wassup Victoria,

    this was an interesting read and I agree that sex trafficking is something that needs to be stopped. I honestly didn't even know it was so prevalent in Gainesville. Now you made me start wondering about it and start researching so that I can know all the areas in Gainesville and back home to be the most cautious at.

    ReplyDelete