ENT3003
Assignment 2A- Bug List
1. Slow Drivers in the left lane
WHY it exists: Many people that are driving on the highway come from different regions and may not be informed of the law; that the left lane is the passing lane.
2. Slow Internet in my apartment
WHY it exists: Lack of Wi-Fi signal, too many users using the same server, a problem with the router, or the electricity going out in the building.
3. Paying full price for items that go on sale the next week
WHY it exists: Companies choose sales according to when the best time of the day/month/year for shoppers are, or if they need to get products off their shelves fast. Therefore, it depends on whether the individual wants the product immediately and is willing to pay full price, or if they can wait for the companies’ timeline to create the sale.
4. Paying for shipping
WHY it exists: A company needs to ship their item to the consumer and that costs money. Having the consumer pay the shipping cost alleviates the depreciation of a shipping cost on the company.
5. People that are on their phone while driving
WHY it exists: While driving many people rely on GPS and other utilities to navigate to their desired location. They also think that they can multitask while texting and using social media.
6. People that are late
WHY it exists: Uncontrolled variables that can intervene. As well as selfish reasons, such as an individuals’ lack of time-management skills and lack of awareness towards others time.
7. Having to find parking in my apartments parking garage
WHY it exists: The building has more people living/visiting the complex than there are spots. They may have underestimated the amount of people that visit their friends and park in the same parking garage as the people that live in the complex.
8. Going grocery shopping
WHY it exists: All humans have to eat to stay alive, therefore if I want to eat I have to go to the grocery store to purchase food. And others have to do the same, making the grocery store always busy.
9. The smell of Cigarettes
WHY it exists: Cigarettes have tar and chemicals in it and create a bad odor when lit.
10. People that talk really close to my face
WHY it exists: Lack of awareness for other peoples’ personal boundaries. Or, that individual has a more open boundary.
11. Motion paper towel dispensers that don’t sense your hand motion
WHY it exists: The dispenser could be over-used and have a lack of signal for motion detection.
12. Having to wait in line at a Dunkin Donuts drive through
WHY it exists: High demand for coffee, and the presumed assumption that the drive through is quicker than going inside so most people use the drive through for time management.
13. Lack of parking spots at UF
WHY it exists: There are more students than there are parking spots. The campus is huge and there is only a limited amount of space to build more parking lots.
14. When the UF bus passes you because it’s full.
WHY it exists: Since there is a limited amount of parking at UF the bus route is the next best option to transport to class; making the bus in high demand at all hours. This also limits space on the bus.
15. Using public bathrooms
WHY it exists: Public bathrooms aren’t the most sanitary. Being outside from home and having to use the restroom forces you to use public restrooms.
16. Walking to the opposite side of campus for my next class
WHY it exists: The UF campus is huge, and some electives don’t take place in the same building as your major. Due to limited transportation students usually have to walk across campus.
17. When someone cuts me off while driving
WHY it exits: People are usually in a rush while driving to get to their destination. This usually happens when there’s only two lanes so it could be that there isn’t enough space given for vehicles on that road for the high amount of vehicles in those two lanes.
18. Not enough seats in a classroom
WHY it exists: There are more students in the class than there are seats. There’s also a lack of space to create for seating.
19. Advertisements on TV
WHY it exists: It’s a way that companies can make money.
20. When I burn food
WHY It exists: Cooking at too high of a temperature, or not putting pam on the pan to avoid sticking and making it burn.
Reflection:
At first this exercise was difficult because while thinking of things that bug me, I realized that throughout my day I pay attention to the positive experiences around me and try not to focus on the actual stuff that bugs me. After thinking really hard and digging deeper to figure out the first 10, I found that deep within I do have things that bug me, and the list began getting easier after each one. I also found it difficult to figure out “why it exists” instead of why it bothers me. It’s very easy to explain how something bothers me, but its more intricate to analyze the actual existence and reasoning of why these problems exist in daily life. I enjoyed this assignment a lot. I gained self-awareness of my perception on things that bother me and the reasons they exist which I’ve never really acknowledged until now.
Hello,
ReplyDeleteSo many of your bugs I relate to so well. I also mentioned in my post that slow drivers in the left lane bug me as well. Seriously, where did these people learn how to drive? I found it very eye opening when doing this assignment because I didn't realize just how many things annoy me on a daily basis even if I don't consciously recognize it at the time.
Great job!
Hey Victoria, I enjoyed reading about the things that bug you. I have things that I agree with you on a lot of the things on your list. The one about the lack of parking I agree with because there really should be more, I also don't like how the make us pay so much for parking after we already pay a lot for other things.
ReplyDeleteVictoria, We share a lot of the same "bugs!" Slow drivers in the left lane and paying for shipping are the worst! When slow drivers are in the left lane, it creates a dangerous driving environment because people have to pass them and switch lanes back and fourth. This is especially worse when it is a freighter. With the dominance of Amazon, companies should be willing to compete with their free shipping business model; it is so annoying to order something for $7 and have to pay $10 to ship it.
ReplyDelete