Tuesday, January 28, 2020

3-A: Your Entrepreneurship Story


In high school I was a part of my school’s soccer team, and the team wanted to create and purchase t-shirts and jackets that represented our high school team. As captain I was in charge of finding a manufacturer that wasn’t expensive to create the t-shirts. It ended up choosing a local mom and pop shop that could manufacture the items. A few other teammates and I got to design the t-shirts on Adobe Illustrator and create our exact t-shirt and jacket models. We then sent the illustration to the manufacturer and they produced our t-shirts and jackets. Each teammate had to pay $20.00 dollars for both the jacket and t-shirt. I was in charge of collecting each teammates payment and paid the manufacturer the amount due. I didn’t look at this process as entrepreneurship until now, but I was the main person who collected the funds for our project and then found the source to obtain the products. It was a pretty simple project overall, and I found it to be so much fun creating a unique design to represent my high school team. I still have the shirt and jacket in my closet and use it sometimes to reminisce my high school soccer experience. 


I enrolled in Principles of Entrepreneurship because I have always wanted to work for myself and the concept of creating my own product or service that results in my income is motivating. I also am a huge fan of the of the tv show shark tank, and I find it fascinating watching each different entrepreneur create a product that solves a unique problem and start from the bottom-up. I watched success stories from shark tank of products beginning with $50,000 in yearly sales, and with the partnership of a shark they were able to grow their company and product to reach millions within a few years. The idea of owning a product or service of my own and being responsible for making the amount of revenue that I work for would be extremely satisfying. I saw this course as an option to fulfill a college credit in my field and I thought that was like a double bonus. I get to receive credit for my major and also take a class that I would love to learn more about and that will benefit me in my future endeavors. I enrolled immediately

This is a picture from my high school soccer team:

Image result for western wild cats soccer

3 comments:

  1. Hi Victoria! I too helped to create team merchandise in high school for my baseball team. The feeling that you get when you are able to make something for not just yourself, but also for others is great. The whole process of it can be difficult and stressful at times, but it's all worth it when other people appreciate the work that you put in. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Victoria, there was a girl in my hometown that did something very similar to you and went on Shark Tank with the idea. There is always business to be had with clothing, especially customized clothing. Here at UF, all of the clubs and greek organizations regularly order customized clothing to sell. I hope you continue to persist your business venture, and I hope to start my own business one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria, a lot of work we all have done in our life for an organization we may not in the moment see as entrepreneurial though it all connects in a way. The fact you were able to find a market (your team) and create a solution for a problem they had is fantastic enough. Your market was able and willing to buy your shirt design.

    ReplyDelete