Thursday, April 16, 2020

27A- Reading Reflection No.3

Mindset: A New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck

1.     What was the general theme or argument of the book?

The general theme of this book was based on the two different mindsets that humans encounter- a growth mindset and a fixed mindset. A fixed mindset focuses on fixed traits, such as believing in their basic qualities, like intelligence and talent. People with fixed mindsets believe their qualities are fixed and cannot be changed or improved; that they are natural born. A growth mindset is the belief that one’s abilities can be developed and improved through hard work and practicing on improving them. People with a growth mindset believe that anyone can be good at anything as long as they work for it.

2.     How did the book, in your opinion connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT3003?

How I can relate this book to what I’m learning in ENT3003, is both applications of fixed and growth mindsets. Within the entrepreneurial process, one must have a concept of a growth mindset to be able to learn about a specific market they’re targeting and to able to study and master the economics/demographics of that market. Though, I can apply the market itself to having a fixed mindset. Certain markets have certain values and traits that aren’t changed and no matter the marketing effort within an organization, the market will only be interested if the marketing effort correlates to their fixed mindset.

3.     If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?

I would have the instructor state out loud certain traits, and have each student write down whether they believe that trait is fixed or if it can be improved. I think this would give students the clarity in knowing what characteristics they can improve upon, but also give them the positive enforcement that they do have natural born talents if they choose that option.

4.     What was your biggest surprise or “aha” moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?

My biggest “aha” moment is how much I use both a fixed mindset and a growth mindset approach. I’ve always believed that I was born with a natural talent in sports, but I also believe that one can be born with natural talents, yet with a growth-mindset, those talents can always be improved upon. And I think that’s my view when it comes to both perspectives. I don’t think that I believe in much of a fixed-mindset, that those traits and characteristics can’t be improved upon. I think any trait can be altered with work and dedication, even if it’s only altered by a small percentage.

2 comments:

  1. Victoria,

    This book sounds like an interesting and insightful read. I have never really thought about mindsets the way that this book did. I think it's important for people to know that a growth mindset is important in life because none of us are perfect and there are always improvements to be made. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Victoria, I never read this book by Carol Dweck, but it seems like it would be a great read for me in the near future. It definitely seems better to have a growth mindset rather than a fixed mindset. A growth mindset encourages change, risks, and new ideas. Most importantly a growth mindset may be more accepting of failure, as you can learn and grow from your mistakes.

    ReplyDelete